Wendi from Haute Rockabilly Fashionista came two weeks ago to stay with me for the weekend! During the planning, she was very interested in going to the Cicada Club. Of course, she wanted to dress to the Nine's -- and what better way than to be dressed in a Technicolor Cutie Original!
I have quite a few formal vintage patterns. This one stuck out and I KNEW it had to be her's!
This dress is literally 11 yards of fabric! 3/4 of it is in the skirt ruffles!
The dress itself was fairly easy to cut out. The sewing of it was a little more advanced than I was use to. Each piece had to be pinned on -- then sewn. The seams on this dress are not ironed open. I had to over lock the bottom of the piece, and then sew 5/8" basting stitch to the top, iron that down and then pin it to it's partner piece. This allows for the dress to lay absolutely flat to the body.
Fabric $85.00 - I bought it all at Joann's Fabrics. Thankfully I found costume satin for $3.50 a yard. Joann's was having a 50% off coupon at that time as well. The satin was on sale, but I used the coupon for the netting/sequin bolero material, which was $35.00 a yard. I chose against using piping. Instead, I overlocked the edges of the ruffles and used black satin blanket binding on the bottom ruffle and for the top bodice piping. I also ended up putting the zipper in the back, instead of the side. Because I graded the pattern up 4 inches in the bust, I was terrified it wouldn't fit. You cannot seam rip satin, so I opted for the back zipper. It worked out too! I was able to fit it perfectly the night she wore it.
I also used the satin AND the netting for the middle bust panel. It really tied the entire dress in!
Time Oh my gosh you guys. This dress took me 2 weeks to put together. I am queen of sewing an outfit in hours. However, I worked on it EVERYNIGHT for about three hours. On my days off, about six hours a day. So, probably 50 hours in total? This pattern is VERY time intensive and you CANNOT skip any steps or "jimmy rig it". I ended up getting jury duty the week of Wendi's arrival -- so it really threw a wrench into my time. I was sewing this dress until we left the night of Cicada.
Instead of piping for the bolero I simply overlocked the edges, twice around. The fabric I picked had pre-existing overlocked scalloped edges. So, it saved time for me to just finish it off that way.
The girls at Cicada
This piece was the hardest, but most rewarding piece I've ever made. It's so nice to get to a point as a seamstress where you can make something for someone and actually have it fit AND look amazing! Thank-you Wendi for letting me make it for you!
Also, it's my 35th Birthday!!!! I've made it another year!